8/22/07

It was a cool, refreshing day when I made my way to the hospital to visit my grandfather. Armed with a basket of fresh fruits,I made my way to the service counter. "Where is Mr Lim's ward?" I queried. After getting the answer, I went on my way.


Just then, I heard a din coming from a nearby ward. Curiously, I went over and peeped in. The sight I saw made me bend over. The floor of the ward was littered with bandages, plasters, and blood! The sight of it made me sick. Furthermore, there was unbearable stench coming from the ward. The patients were poor people, who came from the worst and most desolate parts of Singapore.


My face went slightly green and vivid images of the vampire Dracula formed in my mind. The loud uncanny voices of the patients unnerved me. I squinted at them and hurried through the corridoor to my grandfather's ward. Suddenly, a thought struck struck me. Would my grandfather be in a ward with conditions alike or even worse then the ward I had just seen?


Nervously, I strode down the corridoor. My pace increased with every step. My face was pale with anxiety. At last, I reached the door of the ward. I paused for a moment, hesitating to open the door.The tension was unbearable. Finally,bracing myself, I burst into the hospital ward. I was greeted by a familiar face whiched cheered me up considerably. "Hi grandpa!" I said brightly. To my utmost surprise, instead of greeting me with the usual way, he nodded his head and flashed me a smile. Then, he pointed to his throat and and made some hoarse sounds.

Just then, i remembered that grandpa had injured his throat and had been warned not to stress it too much. I circled my thumb and index finger to assure him that I was alright. Placing the basket of fruits on the table, I turned around to study the interior of the ward. "Hmmm,"I thought. The bed was comfortable, the air-condition facility was good, and the view from the window was scenic. I heaved a sign of relief and my grandpa looked at me questioningly. "I'll tell you next time!" I said, grinning broadly.

I signed contentedly. The enviroment here was nice, and the floor was litter-free. A doctor was attending to a patient across the room and a gentle nurse was helping a man with crutches walk across the room. I accompanied my grandfather for a while then bade him goodbye. What an eventful day it had been!

No comments: